Tuesday, March 5, 2013

PS4 Annoucement / Next Gen Talk


So it has been a while since my last post.  But I'm still alive.  I'd like to talk about the recent annoucement of the PS4.  My overall impression of the system is very good.  I think that it will be Sony's best system yet.  It changed my least favorite part of the PS3 system..... the XMB or Cross Media Bar.  It is extrmely unorganized and duplicates are everywhere.  Oh you want Netflix???  Its under Tv Shows, Movies, and Streaming services.  I'd prefer going to my pins from the Xbox 360 Dashboard and telling my Kinect to open it for me.

But back to the PS4.  On the tech specs side, it has a great processor and 8 GB of RAM.  That is getting closer to most PCs now.  Obviously if you have a desktop for gaming, you may have more, but this is huge for a home console.  And after almost 20 years, Sony decided to change the design of their controller!!!!!  Not that there as anything terribly wrong with the old controller, but come on.... that controller was great for playing Spyro and Crash Bandicoot when I was 5.  My hands have grown since then.... Make a bigger controller!!!!  Hopefully the PS4 controller is better.  There is now a share button on the controller so you can share and upload your gameplay to Youtube and other places to show your friends that sweet headshot on Callof Duty or that last second shot in NBA.  But the biggest downer of the PS4 is that none of your previous controllers will work.  This makes me think... Will any of the PS3 accessories work with the PS4.  What about that Turtle Beach headset you just bought?  How about Sony's Pulse headset?  They confirmed that the Dual Shock 3 Controllers will not be compatible with the PS4.

I hope that Microsoft keeps the same controller.  Because if they do, that is less money that they will get at lauch, but it will sell more consoles with the controllers remaining the same.  You can switch the controllers from the old system to the new with the click of a button.  I am most worried about the accessory compatability of the Next Gen systems.  I am big into headsets and have headsets for both systems.  On my Xbox 360, i have the Tritton Warhead.  Its a 7.1 surround sound, fully wireless headset.  And it cost a pretty penny. Its a $300 headset that is worth every penny, but i dont want to have to buy another one for when the new Xbox is released.  Microsoft can easily make it so all of the accessories still work and I hope they do.

And the biggest thing that will be big for both systems is the ability to play used games.  They always complain about not getting money from the reselling of games, but they easily make it up with everything else.  Xbox has Xbox Live that is 100% profit.  They don't need to charge for anything, but they do.  And it only makes the experience better. Sony will have to start charging for online play on the PS4 or it will not survive.  Even $40 a year would help them significantly.  Undercut the Xbox and try to do something.
So in closing, hopefully the Next Gen is as great as we all expect and they make good decisions with their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment